Sunday, March 20, 2011

Mud

I am not a huge camper seeing how I dislike messes, being cold, peeing in the woods and other such camping normalities. But for some odd reason when we were hanging out with Brian and Pattie, I suggested we go camping this weekend. Mostly I was just thinking how much the boys would love it and sort of, temporarily, had a lapse in my memory of all camping evils.

So a-camping we went. Steven was pretty dang excited and was asking everyone, including random strangers in the grocery store, if they wanted to go camping with him. It was quite cute.

As I was packing and preparing for camping the first evil camping disaster occurred. I broke open a Dr. Pepper in the ice chest causing a sticky mess. Steven was quick to tattle on me. While talking on the phone to his dad he immediately blurted out "Daddy, Mommy broke your juice box!"

Of course it never fails that no matter when we camp their is some sort of muddy disaster. Last year, it was pouring down rain when we arrived at the campsite. This year, there was melting snow. And what does melting snow equal? Mud! And what should happen when we first arrive at the campsite? Our second camping disaster!

Pattie and Brian's truck and pop up trailer got major stuck in the mud. It took about a full hour for the genius minds of Tyler and Brian to solve this problem. Meanwhile, the boys and I froze outside (since there was no way they were going to stay confined in their car seats any longer). I would have taken a picture to document just how buried the wheels were but I was little distracted by poopy diapers, hungry children and whining and screaming (take a guess at who was doing that...).

Once we were out of the mud and set up, I was a bit cranky and had become very much a Debbie Downer. Ben was crazy fussy and would scream anytime I put him down, Steven insisted on going in and out of the trailer letting in cold air and I was starving. We decided to leave our troubles behind and went into town for some dinner at an amazing Mexican Restaurant. This was a good idea and when we finished I returned to the campsite much happier.

The rest of the camping trip went well. It was spent lazing about, eating junk food, trying to get wet wood to burn, hunting for arrows that were lost, and riding quads (where we saw a pond full of noisy frogs, an Elk with her Doe's, and got decorated with splattered mud). I even drove a quad all by myself for my first time which was enlightening to why I don't normally drive them.

Despite the freezing cold and all the muddiness I did have a good time and when it's warmer, I may consider allowing my memory to lapse again and returning to the muddy woods.



Leia slept most of the time and was a great camper!

Pattie putting on her happy face!

Brian and Ben. Ben was not such a happy camper. He's a lot like his mom, but at least he napped well while we were there...

Steven spent most of his time throwing sticks in the fire, going in and out of the trailer and riding on the quads with a frozen on grin (literally frozen on).


Tyler trying to get that wet wood to burn- making for loads of smoke

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A fun time had by all...almost! You're a good sport for hanging in there despite car difficulties. That would put anyone in a foul mood. We'll hafta go together sometime, that would be fun