At recess one of my first grade girls came up to me asking if I wanted to hear some of her great jokes. I cringed. She had told me some jokes earlier this year and I was feeling rather grouchy that day. I wasn't sure I could muster up a smile for these "great jokes." But despite my grumpiness I couldn't say "no" to those pleading eyes (magnified 10x's by her lovely blue framed glasses) so I agreed and the first joke went as follows.:
"Why was the gorilla flying?.... Because he was Merilla."
I forced a "Ha, ha. That's silly." And then due to my positive reinforcement she began to bounce up and down, asking if I wanted to hear more. I plastered on a smile and said I would love for her to save some jokes for later so that I could have another chance to smile. She wouldn't have that. She had so many, she said. So my ears were assaulted with jokes very similar to the previous one until I couldn't muster up anymore smiles and instead I found myself shouting, "Time to line up!!!!"
On retrospect, I'm wondering if maybe all her jokes are truly funny and I am just not bright enough to get them.. Wouldn't that be embarrassing!?
.

Could this be a Merilla?
No comments:
Post a Comment