Friday, March 11, 2011

The Haunting

The other night I was awaken from my sleep to the sound of a voice chirping "1,2,3- count with me!" I know that voice quite well. And at the moment it was residing next to the kitchen sink. That annoying voice belongs to a toy that serves as a distraction for getting Ben to eat. I know he's chubby but I can barely get him to eat a jar of food for each meal these days.

Choosing to ignore the voice, because we have another toy that goes off occasionally, I drifted back to sleep. Minutes later, however, it chirped "1,2,3- count with me!" again. And it did this at regular intervals for the next 10 minutes. And my sleepy mind began to conjure up creepy images of somebody or should I say something, trying to lure me down those stairs by pushing that one button. So...

I muttered, "Tyler, Tyler. Do you hear that?" He mumbled a "yeah" and rolled over. "Tyler please can you go turn it off." No response. So I got up and began to go downstairs but my mind had gotten the best of me and suddenly I had frightened myself so much that I couldn't do it. So I said, "Can't do it. Too scared." Tyler full of much deserved annoyance, dragged himself out of bed and began the journey down.

I, not wanting to be alone, followed. Not yet creeped out? Well, as we were plodding down the stairs, a new button began to go off "4" followed by 4 musical notes. "5" followed by 5 musical notes. As though it was counting our steps towards it. I suddenly, began to find all my irrational fears began rationalized and found myself clutching Tyler's arm.

When we arrived at the counter their was no one there. Just one evil, possessed toy.

Tyler turned off the toy and felt some dampness in doing so. I confessed that it may have gotten a little bit wet that day. He shot me a dark look and then we returned to bed.

I think if it hadn't started counting our steps down I may have just shuffled this story under the bed and marked it as another consequence of my overactive imagination. But...I'm really beginning to think that we are not alone in this house. After all, Steven asks that I keep the baby gate up at his door to protect him from monsters (they definitely couldn't climb over a baby gate right) and he once claimed there was a group of ducks on his ceiling (and the mommy duck and daddy duck were going on a date to Target). So, if I randomly disappear someday, blame it on the ghost ducks.

1 comment:

Rebecca Brady said...

i wish you wouldn't share these stories. i'm going to have nightmares!!!