Saturday, February 12, 2011

Turning 3


For Steven's third birthday I was able to get permission from my principal to bring Steven into my classroom under the guise of an educational experience (I told her we would read to him and write about the experience, quick thinking on my part).

On his birthday, I don't know who was more excited about him coming: me, my students or Steven. All morning I heard: Is he coming now? How about now? When he is coming? Can I punch him when it comes? (honest someone did ask that). And when the man of the hour finally arrived, there was major happiness everywhere.

When he got there they all sang "happy birthday" to him which he absolutely loved. Then he passed out the treat he had picked out (Ding Dongs which are SO much cheaper then store made cupcakes). There was some anger when I tried to take over the job of passing out (because he was stinkin' slow) but it was less annoying because all my students found his naughtiness so hilarious.

After treats were in mouths, I decided to do the logical thing people do when they have junk in their mouth and have my students read to Steven. This was not so effective because Steven was so hyped up he would not sit down for a book. Instead he began passing out his books to everyone. So I decided to change my plans.

Instead I had my students interview him which was quite funny. He sat on my lap, jumping like the crazy boy he is. One lovely student asked him why he was so weird (same one who asked the punching question in case you were wondering). He simply jumped higher in response. Another student asked him what his favorite color was. He pointed to his blue shirt and said, "red." Then someone asked him why he was mean to his baby brother. This question was responded with a devious smile.

After the interview it was time to say goodbye. My students high fived him, a few hugged him and one gave him a sweet card and a bag of chocolate goldfish. It was super cute!

And on his birthday eve he requested a corn dog for dinner so I decided a family outing was in order. We went to Red Robins where he was given chocolate milk (which he oddly didn't want and he asked for a water instead) and a delicious corn dog that he did gobble down. Afterwards they came to sing to him and brought him a giant sundae and balloon. To continue with his oddness he was more excited by the singing and balloon and completely neglected the ice cream. Us being such fabulous parents gave the ice cream the attention it deserved. It was delicious!



When we got home Steven opened his two exciting presents that are telling of his future career- a Tri-County Landfill play set and a garbage truck. He loved them both of course :)




No comments: