Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Inevitably...

Every year I teach the word "newborn" because it is a vocabulary word in a book I read with my second graders. Every year this word seems to bring on a load of pregnancy/delivery questions. Some of the great questions/comments we got sidetracked on:

"Does it hurt when they cut the baby out of you?"
"Dude! They don't cut the baby out of you. It comes out of their...you know..."
(I interrupt and explain that Ben was indeed cut out of my stomach)
"Why was he upside down?My mom said I was sideways. How did I get sideways?"
"Did blood pour out everywhere when they opened you up?"
"Did they use staples like from your stapler over there?"
"How does the baby eat in there?"
"Is the tube like connected to their mouth? Like a straw? How does the milk get in there? Is it connected to your mouth?"
"Can they take all your food from you and suck the life from you? What if you don't eat?"
"Where do they poop and pee?"

Teaching can be quite entertaining...

No comments: