Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Run Forest, Run

Back in my college days and even in my early marriage days I used to be a runner. Not a fabulous runner. I never ran much more than a mile and I wasn't superbly fast but I ran. It made me feel good about myself. I know I'm skinny but having a good metabolism doesn't mean that you're in shape.

Well, once I got pregnant with Steven I opted against staying in shape while pregnant. Something about my first year of teaching combined with my first pregnancy persuaded me against it. And then of course there were always excuses, like being a working mother of one, pregnancy again, a working mother of two, blah, blah, blah.

But now I'm hardly working (I had one of my 4 tutoring clients cancel & sub jobs seem to be spotty) and my excuses are dwindling. And when my brother told me I should run with him, I accepted his invitation.

Today, after many years away with my only running consisting of chasing my children, I ran a mile and a quarter at a very unfast speed. My feet are sore, my legs feel like JELLO and I was a bit embarrassed by the amount of sweat that exited my body but I did it! And now I'm blogging about it so that I won't quit after just one run.

I'm hoping this is the start of something wonderful...

3 comments:

Mike said...

Ben was first? Why is he smaller and have less teeth than Steven?

Just saying...

Steven T Hatch said...

Wow! I totally didn't even notice I did that. My bad- now I must edit this post...
--Jenny

Anonymous said...

Yay Jenny! this is so exciting! When you start getting up to a 5k let's so a race together