Tuesday, June 7, 2011

One Week Later

Well, it has been a week since I started potty training Steven and he has now mastered knowing when he needs to pee and will do such without bribery. The only problem is that he still refuses to go pee in the potty. I have trained him, much like a dog, to pee outside "on the rocks." I know it's really all my own fault so now I have just got to figure out how to undo the damage I've done... Meanwhile we've had a couple fun "growing" moments.

One such moment was at my sister-in-laws house on Sunday. We were there for a luncheon after baby Boston was blessed and were surrounded by the Hatch family and her husband's family. While in the midst of everyone, Steven ripped off his pants and underwear and rushed outside to go "pee on the rocks." That boy has absolutely no modesty but despite that I was so proud of him because that was the first time he went without being asked. And ever since he has flashed many people on his runs outside.

Another fun moment occurred last night. I was lying in bed unable to sleep because of a bad stomachache (gotta love my IBS) when I heard some thumping in Steven's room. I began to get worried, thinking we were going to have a poop disaster when I heard the sweet sound of tinkling in a toilet. I was so proud of my little man for going potty in the middle of the night I had to go tell him such. He immediately asked me why the gate on the stairs was up because he had wanted to pee on the rocks, not the toilet. I'm thinking maybe I just need to gate him in upstairs all day and that will force him to pee in the potty- clever idea right ;)

Progress is progress and though we still have many things to work on (location of pee, consistency of dryness during sleep and those lovely BMs) I am still proud of the progress we have made.

Sadly though we will not be rewarding ourselves with a trip to CA after all. I let responsibility overcome my desire for fun and nixed the idea since money will be much tighter come August. Maybe we will do a daytime trip instead. We shall see...

1 comment:

Rebecca Brady said...

oh my gosh! i am so proud of him for going in the potty in the middle of the night! obviously there's still a lot more work, but it sounds like he will get it down in no time. sad about california :( but i commend you for being responsible.