
In case you can't tell what the picture above is of, that would be the $6 balloon.
I would NEVER pay $6 for a balloon. Never! Well, at least that's what I thought until that one day before Father's Day when I kind of, sort of, promised a little boy that he could have 1 balloon as headed to the store to pick out balloons for his dad.
I really didn't think any of the balloons could be worth more than a few bucks so when he pointed to the only balloon that meant anything to him, I of course said "Yes! You can have that amazing Lightening McQueen Balloon!"
He held onto that special balloon with all five of his tiny fingers and a huge grin plastered to his face as we walked over to the self check out line at Fry's. Then came the moment of recognition. As I scanned in the price and saw that his balloon was worth more than his daddy's I almost ripped out of his hands and rushed it back to the balloon counter. But I couldn't. He had claimed it, he had already pictured it in his house and I had, after all, promised. So I bought that $6 balloon. And that night he slept with it safely attached to the edge of his bed.
And would you believe that the next day, he pulled that sacred balloon off the clip that kept it safe? Would you believe that stood there and watched as it floated to the top of our highest, vaulted ceilings? Would you believe that he calmly stated, "Mom, my balloon ran away."?
That was literally a month ago and the balloon still resides in it's corner on that ceiling. I suppose it was really worth 6 bucks for how long it has stayed afloat. If only Steven had actually been able to enjoy that long, lasting floatiness. If only.
1 comment:
You know, if you'd ever invite your tall brother over he might be able to get that balloon down for you/Steven ...
Post a Comment