Saturday, April 2, 2011

Funnies

Last Sunday I had the privilege of taking both the children to sacrament all by myself. Let's just say I would like to never repeat that blessed experience. While I was trying to detain Ben from crawling away, Steven began rifling through my diaper bag. In doing this he made a discovery that he wanted to share with all. Holding one of my feminine pads high in the air he announced, "Mommy's diaper!" Embarrassing.

The other afternoon I went to pick up my two third graders and was surprised to find the boy wearing a white tank top that was also just an arm lift away from showing his midriff. I smiled and said, "Where's the shirt you were wearing this morning?" He replied, "It was hot. Besides this makes me look tough." I tried to stifle a laugh because he looked anything but tough. It was difficult. The other third grader, a girl, commented, "He looks like a lazy guy." He took this as a personal attack and yelled, "NO! Lazy guys are sweaty and have arm pit hair and they sit on the couch and watch TV like this," he stretched his arms out and leaned back. Then he crossed his arms over his chest and gave her a dirty look.

One fine school day morning we were practicing our spelling words and my students were working their hardest to distract me from this task. One of them randomly asked me if Steven has ever thrown things at Ben. I said, "Yes. Unfortunately he has chucked things at Ben." The student gave me a funny look and asked what "chuck" means. I took my water bottle and chucked it at the table to explain, after all, they always say visuals are the best way to teach English Language Learners. However, I had not put my lid on tightly (if you talk to Tyler he will confirm that I NEVER do) and the force of my chuck caused the water to explode. Needless to say, the unlucky student in front of that explosion got quite wet. My bad...








2 comments:

Rebecca Brady said...

such a good example, you are, mrs hatch. so were the kids traumatized (especially the wet one) or did they think it was the greatest thing ever?

Anonymous said...

It seems the kid has seen one too many "lazy guys" in his young life to give an accurate depiction of one. Aren't you going to miss these daily laughs at school?