Saturday, June 12, 2010

The First Weeks of Summer


I expected a nice, relaxing summer with my boys but things haven't quite turned out as expected... Steven has been quite challenging this summer. I do love that boy and am grateful for this time I have to be home with him but this time has been filled with whining, tantrums and lots of drama. I like to think that all of it's because his molars are still working their way out. At least that makes me feel more sorry for Steven and it would imply that there will be an end to this behavior. It just seems that every time we go out he finds something to throw a fit about. He's thrown fits because he pushed over a random child and is now in trouble. He's thrown fits because he doesn't want to leave a place or because he does want to leave a place. And another common reason for fits is that he wants me to buy him something or he's upset because I've left something he wants at home.Thus this summer has been filled with timeouts and mommy's angry voice.

As for Ben, I love that adorable little rolly polly but he is creating some challenges as well. He has been quite fussy as of late and seems to be most happy in his swing or bouncer (they are the only places he will nap during the day). It's too bad I can't go to the store with those things. At the same time though, I am grateful those things do make him happy. It's nice to know that if he's cranky and I am at home, there is an easy fix.

So after those negatives let's write some positives about this summer:

-Ben is getting a more consistent eating schedule (roughly: 2/3am, 6am, 9am, noon, 4pm, 7pm, 9pm)
-Ben is kind of getting a napping schedule- about 1- 1 1/2 hours in the morning and about 3 hours in the afternoon)
-Ben is cooing more and constantly giving me the cutest smiles
-Steven calls a swim suit, a swim "soup" (totally the cutest thing ever) and I have been enjoying watching his vocabulary grow everyday
-Steven has learned how to "monkey crawl" in the pool and "kick, kick, kick" thereby not deeming his swim lessons completely worthless (if only he would let go of me though...)
-Steven and I have ventured to the library and I love seeing that he loves books as much as I do
-I have worked out nice morning and night time routines with both boys
-We kept a goldfish alive for 2 weeks!!! (It was quite the achievement after killing 6 fish in a matter of 3 days)
-I was able to go see Katrin's baby's blessing in Tuscon
-I have started working out on Wii Fit to tone up and get myself some muscles ( I am feeling the burn though so we'll see if I can keep it up)
-I have had time to: hang out with good friends, paint again, rot my brain with old Lost episodes, learn some new recipes and read ( I read the Hunger Games which was a pretty good book)

The reality is the positives outweigh the negatives and I am so grateful to have a job where I can be home with my kids during the summer :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Loren and I recently read both Hunger Games books as well and can't wait for the next one in August

Rebecca Brady said...

super cute new picture!

Mike said...

Hey! Did we tell you to read those books? We read them first!