Monday, May 10, 2010

Oh CA...


So this picture pretty much defines my trip with my mom and 2 kids to CA. Steven's molars decided to start coming in Thursday and it made for a pretty crazy trip. The drive up on Wednesday was very deceiving because it went so smoothly. Tyler and I had invested in a DVD player for the car which was fantastic. It kept Steven happy for most of the trip. Ben also did great. He cried a couple of times but not for very long. We took 2 stops so that I could nurse Ben so the drive itself lasted 8 hours but all and all it was a very nice drive.

On Thursday things took a turn for the worst. I decided it would be fun to visit a zoo so we went to a local one- the Santa Ana Zoo. Can we say lame? This zoo had birds, turtles, 2 snakes, an Emu, a llama and monkeys. That was it. Plus Steven must have started getting his molars in then because he was cranky the whole time. He kept demanding to go "this way!" and trying to push the stroller off into ravines. It was no fun. He even punched another child. Thankfully he fell asleep on the drive back to Mike's house and slept for 4 hours. That provided me with a very needed break from him and I spent the time socializing with my mom and Rebecca. It was nice.

When he woke up we headed to a local park where we celebrated Mike's birthday. That was a highlight of the trip for sure. Steven was actually behaving pretty decently, the homemade pizza and cake (made by Rebecca) were amazing and it was fun to see Mike open his presents (with the help of Steven). I also enjoyed telling Steven to get the ducks and then watching him do so. He almost got attacked by a mother duck. Since he didn't get attacked, I feel that I can claim it as funny.


On Friday we decided to go to the mall and let him play at the play area there. Steven did well at the play area but of course when we decided to do some shopping, he went crazy. He started crying "owie" and screamed the entire way through Target (yes they have a Target at their mall- sooo cool!). It was very stressful. Thankfully he went down for a nap when we got back. Mike also got home from work early when we got back. Rebecca and him went and got Olive Garden take out which was very delicious. It was nice hanging out with them and pigging out on bread sticks.

When Steven woke up we headed to the beach. Unfortunately Steven seemed to remember his last trip to the beach where he got bombarded by sand and a wave and as soon as he saw the ocean he started freaking out and yelling "Scary!" He refused to leave his Grandma's lap the entire time. He wouldn't even leave it to go fill up his bucket with sand. He would have me fill it up and then he would fling sand from it. As you can see from the picture below, Ben slept the entire time. I enjoyed just chilling on the beach and listening to the waves. Very relaxing! Mike and Rebecca however, actually played on the beach and made a magnificent sand castle.





The night after the beach was horrendous. Steven was still acting fussy and as I put him down he pointed to his mouth and said owie so I looked inside and sure enough, he was getting his molars in. That night he woke up at 10, 12, and 2 screaming and crying. It took forever to calm him down and I felt horrible because he was keeping Mike, Rebecca and my mom from getting any sleep (and probably their apartment neighbors as well). It was no fun!

Saturday we drove back and thankfully there wasn't too much whining. I was so glad to be back home where Steven couldn't bother anyone but me and Tyler. I was also thankful to be back home with Tyler. It was quite the trip!

No comments: